Can Dogs Eat Chocolate: How Much Is Safe and Chocolate Poisoning Symptoms

It is hard to resist when your dogs give you a pity look when you are eating something. You cannot but share your food with them. But what about when you are eating chocolates? Can dogs eat chocolate, too?

No, chocolate is not safe for your dogs. Chocolate contains a chemical compound called theobromine. It makes chocolate toxic for them. Chocolates can cause different problems like vomiting, diarrhea, and, in some cases, seizures and tremors.

Though dogs like the smell of chocolate and may want to have some bites, you should discourage them. This article will show the side effects and poisoning symptoms of chocolates for dogs.

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate

Why Is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

You should not give chocolate to your dogs as they are toxic because of the presence of theobromine. It affects the nervous system of dogs and the cardiovascular system. Besides, dogs find it difficult to digest chocolates. As a result, it can build toxic substances in their bodies.

Dark chocolate and baking chocolate contain a high amount of theobromine. It makes them harmful to dogs. Milk chocolates contain lactose along with theobromine. It makes them no better for dogs. White chocolates contain less of this toxic substance. However, it has some other chemicals that make it no better than the others.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

Chocolate poisoning is a common case for dogs. You should not give them any chocolate in the first place. However, even if they are given, you should look for the poisoning symptoms. The symptoms include the following:

●   Vomiting shortly after taking chocolate is the most common symptom of chocolate poisoning.

●   Diarrhea is another common symptom. It happens as they cannot digest chocolate.

●   Dogs often show signs of nausea. It includes drooling and lip-smacking.

●   Chocolate poisoning can make them restless. They can appear agitated and anxious.

●   Muscle tremors or shaking is a common effect of theobromine in dogs.

What to Do If a Dog Eats Chocolate?

Can dogs eat chocolate? The answer is no. But what if they eat some of their own? If you find such an incident, then you should not wait for symptoms. Instead, take the following actions immediately:

●   Check the type of chocolate your dog has eaten. Dark and baking chocolates are the most toxic ones. The information will be handy for your veterinarian.

●   You must call a veterinarian immediately. If a vet is not available, then contact an emergency pet poison hotline for guidance.

●   Do not try to make your dog vomit  unless you are trained.

●   Keep the remaining chocolate away. Dogs may want to have more of it.

●   Keep your dog in check so that it does not take any more chocolates.

How to Keep Your Dogs Away from Chocolate?

Keeping dogs away from chocolates is crucial and challenging. They like the sweet scent and taste of chocolates. Here are some tips to prevent dogs from eating chocolates.

●   Keep all chocolate products out of dogs’ reach. Store them in closed cabinets.

●   Educate everyone in your family about the harmful effects of chocolates on dogs. Children should be made aware specifically.

●   Some dogs are smart to open chests and drawers. In such cases, you need to use a lock.

●   Do not keep chocolates with dog treats.

●   Dispose of chocolate wrappers properly. Make sure to throw them in a secure trash can. The smell of the wrapper can attract them.

●   Give your dogs other tasty and enjoyable safe treats. It will keep their attention away from chocolates.

●   Teach your dog some essential commands. Commands like “leave it” or “don’t touch it” will be helpful in such cases.

How Much Chocolate Is Safe for Dogs?

It is better not to give your dogs any chocolates. They do not provide your dogs with any benefit. But, if your dog persists, you can give them a very small amount. The smaller the treat, the better. Experts suggest not to give more than 0.5 ounces of milk chocolate to their body weight.

However, the exact amount can vary depending on dog species and health conditions. You can give white and milk chocolate in a small amount. But you should not give them any dark or baking chocolate at all.

Can Chocolate Kill Dogs?

Though chocolate is toxic for dogs, it usually cannot kill them. However, if you give chocolates to your furry friends regularly, it can develop serious health issues. Sometimes, this can be even lethal and kill your dogs.

Fortunately, however, you will notice different clinical signs in your dogs. You should be aware and careful of these signs. If you notice any sign, you must immediately stop giving them any kind of chocolates. You should also contact a vet and ask for guidance.


Chocolates are not safe for dogs. It causes different health issues, including poisoning, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and more. You should discourage everyone in your family. If they get hold of any chocolate, you should observe the signs of poisoning and take immediate action.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post